Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 18: Taco Soup

I woke up this morning to the sound of slush on the roof. It doesn't bode well for outdoor cooking. But we really need the snow so I won't complain. And I do love the way the world looks covered in a blanket of fresh snow. My house is surrounded by orchards and fields and it looks so cool to see the baby cherry trees outlined with the snow. And, by the way, Happy Martin Luther King Day! The kids are out of school, so with that thought, LET IT SNOW! My #2 son always makes a snowman village Calvin and Hobbes style. They look half melted or are being chased by sharks or something. The kid is creative!
Now on to the recipe! I have probably made 6 different versions of this soup over the years, but this one is my favorite. I usually make this soup on busy days because it is so fast and easy. I have to admit, I used my camp chef stove because it was such a crazy night and I needed dinner fast.
Taco Soup
12" dutch oven
2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
2 cans corn
4 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 taco seasoning packet
1 ranch dressing/dip packet
Brown the ground beef and onion in your D.O. Drain the grease. Add all the remaining ingredients. Do not drain the corn or beans, just dump the whole can in. Simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped cilantro.
The Finished Product

What I learned

I learned 2 things. First, that using my camp chef stove feels a lot like cheating, and second, that I should have used my 12" D.O. instead of my 10". It completely filled the 10" and made it hard to carry into the house!
The Review
This soup is one that I know my family will eat. The hubby is not a huge fan, but he doesn't complain to loudly. The ranch dressing is a nice addition and adds an interesting flavor. It worked great in the D.O. and was really easy. This recipe gets a B, but only because I have made it a million times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails