Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 35: Honey Mustard Glazed Carrots

I have been using the Sam's Choice briquettes for a little while now, and I have to say that they are pretty good coals. I have 2 issues with them, but they are pretty minor. First, they produce a lot of ash. Some of that could be that they are bigger than Kingsford briquettes. Since I don't have to worry about clogging up a smoker it isn't a big deal. Second, they spark more than Kingsford. As I move the coals around in the chimney they shoot up sparks. Like I said, they are pretty minor complaints, and overall I've found they burn well, and are easy to use. We have a Winco Foods opening up this spring so I will try to find the Royal Oak brand and I will compare them.
Today's recipe was sent to me by a reader. I did honey glazed carrots a couple of weeks ago and I was disappointed with the results. The flavor wasn't great. So Dutchovenrandy left this recipe in the comments and I thought I'd give it a try.

Honey Mustard Glazed Carrots
10" dutch oven
2 lbs. baby carrots
4 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. spicy brown sugar Dijon mustard
1 T. liquid Hickory smoke
1 Tbs. honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1-2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley (I forgot this)
Heat the DO and melt the butter. Add the dry ingredients and stir well. Add the liquid smoke, honey and mustard. Stir quickly so it doesn't burn. Add the carrots and let them simmer for 30-40 minutes. When you are ready to serve sprinkle with parsley. I used 14 coals on the bottom and 7 on top. Serves about 6. If I were to make these indoors, I would do it all in a saucepan on the stove top.
The Finished Product

What I Learned
Yesterday's DO tip worked perfectly here. 2/3 of the coals on the bottom and 1/3 on top and these carrots were cooked to perfection.
The Review
I know you are looking at the pic and wondering why I am eating carrots rolled in dirt. Well, these are the best dirt rolled carrots I have ever had (it is the mustard that looks grainy). These were amazing!!! The cinnamon and nutmeg perfectly seasoned them. My 2 year old ate all hers and then polished off mine. If she weren't so cute I would have stabbed her with my fork to keep her out of my carrots (ha ha!). I think I will make these again for Thanksgiving dinner, and probably several times between now and then. Don't let the terrible pic make you pass these up. They were awesome! Grade A-.

1 comment:

  1. Toni,
    Heres another variation I like to make also. I broke the recipe down fo you in smaller quantities since the original from my 4th cook book serves 50 people.

    Ginger Honey Glazed Carrots
    "Cast Iton"Covered Wagon" Cookin' Cooking for crowds in BIG ovens" by David Herzog

    1 1/2 lbs. carrots, sliced into 1/4" coins
    2-3 Tbs. butter
    1/2 c. orange juice
    2 1/2 Tbs. dark brown sugar, packed
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp. fresh grated ginger (you can use the bottled grated ginger if you like)
    1 qt boiling water

    In a 10" Dutch oven, bring 1 qt water with 1/2 Tbs salt to a full rolling boil. While water is heating up cut carrots into coins using a mandolin. When water comes to a boil, add carrots, cover and sook 5 to 7 minutes.

    Drain water from carrots and place carrots back into Dutch oven, add butter and saute over medium to medium high heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Add orange juice, brown sugar, and ginger; cook carrots stirring frequently until liquid reduces by about half. Serve hot with fresh parsley sprinkled over top for garnish.
    Serves 8 to 10

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails