Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 37: Sky High Biscuits

Well, I finally had biscuits turn out right! I don't even know how many times I tried them. I finally figured out how to do them and now I am so sick of biscuits that I never want to make them again! :):) No, really, the secret is preheating the oven. I only preheated the lid, but you could easily heat the oven while you cut out the biscuits and put them in a hot DO. All my other attempts at this recipe would never rise and were flat, but these were nice and fluffy.
Sky High Biscuits
12" dutch oven
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 Tbs. sugar
4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup cold butter
1 egg
1 cup milk
In a bowl combine the first 6 ingredients. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Combine egg and milk; stir in to crumb mixture just until moistened. Turn onto a floured surface and knead 10-15 times. Roll out 1" thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. Place in your DO and bake at 450 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. I used 22 coals on top and 11 on the bottom. Makes about 1 dozen.
The Finished Product
Look! I didn't even burn the bottom!!


What I Learned
Preheating is very important. I think we all know this, but is true none the less. Next time I will preheat the whole oven before I put them in. When I tried these in my oven at home they got at least 3" high, they were awesome! I think I can at least get close to that height next time I make them. These took about 25 minutes to cook, but I think I can also reduce that by preheating the whole oven. I did take these off the bottom coals about 15 minutes into cooking, and just used top heat to lightly brown the tops.
The Review
These were really good biscuits. They were light and fluffy and had a great soft texture. They were almost as soft as dinner rolls inside. YUM! I love that they have whole wheat flour in them. It makes them seem healthier. I can tell I stirred them a little to much, because they weren't flat on top, but I think I can live with that. :) Of all the biscuit recipes I have tried over the years I like this one the best. For now I will give these a B+, but only because I still have a few kinks to work out with them.

2 comments:

  1. I always put a couple of tablespoons of bacon grease in the dutch oven , melt it and then when I put a biscuit in , flip it over so you have grease on top and bottom. Not a true southern biscuit unless you use bacon grease. May not be the healthiest but you can't beat the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For most breads, preheating the dutch oven is key. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails