Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 39: No Fuss Chicken

I have had a few comments and emails about the recipes. The most common being "Can I cook this inside in my oven too?" The answer is absolutely YES!!!! I will try to remember to put the oven temp along with the number of coals so you can cook indoors too. 99% of the recipes I use come from everyday cookbooks/cooking blogs or are family recipes, and in a few cases they are my own creation. I will always tell you if I get it from a blog or cookbook. If I don't mention a source it is probably a family recipe or one I've had forever and don't know where it came from. One of my goals has been to learn to adapt any recipe for use in a DO. So far, so good on that front. DOs are amazingly versatile. Soon I am going to try pies and cookies, so stay tuned. Also, please let me know what you think and how the recipes work for you! I have the greatest readers and I wish I could have all of you over for dinner!
Today's recipe falls into the "I can't remember where I got it" category. I have been making it for years. It was originally a slow cooker recipe that morphed into an oven recipe that is now a DO recipe. How's that for evolution? Usually I serve it with rice or noodles, but dinner kind of turned into a carb-fest so the chicken went solo tonight.
No Fuss Chicken
12" dutch oven
2/3 cup flour
1 tsp. rubbed sage
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. season salt
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup butter
2 cups chicken broth
In a bowl, combine flour, sage,basil and seasoned salt; coat chicken. Reserve remaining flour mixture. In you DO, melt the butter and brown the chicken on all sides. I used 25 coals for this. When chicken is browned, remove from the DO. Add 1/4 cup of reserved flour mixture to the DO and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Return chicken to the DO and coat with sauce. Cover and cook at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. I used 8 coals on the bottom and 16 on top.
The Finished Product
What I Learned
I am really getting the hang of this DO stuff. As far as main dishes go I am pretty confidant, so that means it is time for some new challenges. That means more breads. Bring it on! I have some great bread ideas to share soon!
The Review
This was great. The gravy is to die for and we like it so much I always double the gravy. My kids said it was even better in the DO than in the oven or crock pot. There was nothing left over. This is in my "tried and true" file and is delicious! Grade A.

2 comments:

  1. Breads are a unique challenge! I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences. I just recently put up a directory page on my blog about my better dutch oven bread experiences, it's on the right, labelled "Dutch Oven Bread Recipes".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good. I'll have to sub oil instead of butter, but I think it will still work out. :)

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails