Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 49: Creamed Green Beans

Good Thursday everyone! It is snowing at my house, and it looks really pretty. It has covered the brown grass with a thin blanket of white, and made everything look clean again.
I hoped everyone has commented on yesterday's post. Remember to tell me about your best DO dish and you could win a copy of the new 2010 World Championship Cook off Cookbook. It looks like a good one! You only have until 10 pm mountain time tomorrow!
I found today's recipe in a Taste of Home cookbook, and I adapted it to fit our tastes. I love green bean casserole, but I prefer to make it from scratch instead of using creamed soups. When I made this, I had problems with the sauce breaking. I ended up lumpy. That seems to be a theme for me lately. So I followed a link left in a comment by Mark at Mark's Black Pot that explained what that means and how to fix it. You can get there from here. So here is the recipe with the changes to keep is smooth and creamy. I am doing this recipe in stages so I can make it understandable.

Creamed Green Beans
10" dutch oven
1/2 cup butter
flour to make a roux (I used just over 1/2 cup)
Melt the butter in your DO. I used about 12 coals for this. Add the flour a little at a time, stirring well until you have a thick paste. You don't want it too stiff. When I quit stirring, the roux would slowly flatten out on its own. Stir and cook it for just a few minutes, then remove from the DO. This will be used to thicken the sauce for the beans, and can also be kept in the fridge to thicken soups and sauces later.

3 Tbs. butter, divided
1/2 cup crushed cornflakes (I used Ritz crackers)
1 tsp. dried minced onion or 1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
4-6 cups French-style green beans, cooked and drained (I just used canned beans, drained them and put them in)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Melt 1 tbs. butter and mix with the cornflakes; set aside. Melt the remaining 2 Tbs. in your DO. Stir in the onion, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is tender. Reduce the heat (I just took away a few coals) and add the sour cream and Worcestershire sauce; stir well and heat through. Now take the roux and add it a little at a time, stirring well until the sour cream/onion mixture is thickened. I used about 1 Tbs. of roux. Fold in the beans and spread in your DO. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Sprinkle with the cornflake mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through. I used 17 coals on top and 8 on the bottom. Serves 6-8.
The Finished Product

See how lumpy the sauce is? Looks gross, huh?

The second try is much creamier

The Review
This is really good. The Worcestershire added a nice flavor. I like this much better than using creamed soup. The second attempt with the recipe above turned out creamier. I did have to add a little milk (a Tablespoon or two) to it after I added the beans because I got it a little too thick. As easy as this is, I won't go back to using the cream soups. This one gets a B+.

2 comments:

  1. Good Day Toni,

    I too love Green Bean casserole, or for that matter Green Beans ~ especially fresh ~ in MOST any form.

    Marks blog on roux was very informing and good reading. I have to agree about the canned condensed soups. In my humble opinion, for the amount of Sodium, Fat and "Flavor", there are simply better alternatives. Here are a couple that I use:

    1 tbsp. butter
    3 tbsp. flour
    1/2 cup any broth or a bouillon cube, desolved
    1/2 cup milk
    Mushrooms or Celery or Chicken or whatever, chopped and sauteed
    salt and pepper to taste

    Directions
    Melt butter over Med-Low heat.
    Stir in flour a little at a time until smooth, then remove from heat.
    Add broth and milk a little at a time, stirring to keep mixture smooth. Then, stir in mushrooms.
    Return to heat and bring sauce to a gentle boil; stir constantly until sauce thickens.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.

    OR here is a mix that I started using when we used to backpack alot - a.k.a. in my "younger" days...LOL :

    2 cups dry milk
    3/4 cup cornstarch
    1/4 cup bouillon granules
    2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
    1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
    1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
    1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

    2 to 3 teaspoons butter or vegetable oil

    Combine all ingredients except butter together and store in airtight container. To use, mix 1/2 cup dry soup mix with 1 1/4 cups water and cook until thick; add butter/oil. This is equal to one can cream soup. The mix makes enough to equal 9 to 10 cans. For cream of mushroom or celery soup, add mushroom powder, available at most Asian markets) or celery seeds, ground or celery salt along with the butter or vegetable oil while cooking.

    Happy Cooking!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been very happy with "cream of" recipes and I am looking forward to trying alternatives.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails