Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 55: Buttery Corn Bread

I got a call from a good friend yesterday. She has been following my blog and had a $64,000 question for me. She asked, "Are you really cooking something in your dutch oven EVERYDAY?" I just laughed, because that is an easy one to answer. I told her "Of course!" I can honestly say that I have cooked something in my DO every day so far. Have I blogged everything I've made? Not yet. Am I a little ahead? Yes. Do I still cook in my DO everyday anyway? Yes. Like I said the other day, it has become habit. It is just the way I cook now. It will be really weird to go back to cooking indoors next year. But don't worry, I won't abandon my DO in 2011. It has been too fun.
Today's recipe is corn bread. I really wish I had known how easy it is to make in the DO, because I would have tried it before biscuits. Seriously, all my fellow newbies out there, start with corn bread, not biscuits. This was a breeze. I did preheat my lid for about 5-8 minutes to get in nice and hot. After that, it was really easy to cook. We don't have corn bread very often because my hubby doesn't like it. But he is working nights for the next few months, so we get to eat whatever we want. I have yet to find the perfect cornbread recipe, but this is probably the best one I have tried yet.
Buttery Corn Bread
12" dutch oven
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened (use butter, trust me)
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 2/3 cup milk
2 1/3 cups flour
2 1/3 cups corn meal
4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Combine the eggs and milk. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with egg mixture. Pour in to your oiled DO. Bake at 400* for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. I used 19 coals on top and 10 on the bottom. I took it off the bottom coals about 20 minutes into cooking and just used the top heat to finish cooking. 12-15 servings.

The Finished Product

The bottom was perfect!


Top View!
What I Learned
Corn bread is a piece of cake. So much easier than biscuits. I really don't know why, though. Maybe I am just getting better at all this, or maybe it is because I didn't stress over it. Who knows! But this worked well.
The Review
I really liked this cornbread. It was nice and moist and didn't crumble apart like some corn breads do. It was also nice and buttery. I think it is my favorite corn bread recipe...for now. The leftovers seemed to stay pretty moist too. This makes a lot, so if you aren't feeding an army like I am, you will want to cut it in half. Grade: B+, only because I know there is an even better recipe out there somewhere!

4 comments:

  1. I have about 20 of them. e-mail me if you would like some. theoutlawgourmet@hotmail.com and I have 2 or 3 on my blog. roguedutchovencookers.blogspot.com I love corn breads. And corn bread stuffing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think it is amazing that you brave these weather conditions every day. Amazing!

    I haven't tried to make it yet, but I have seen people make a pot of chili and pour their corn bread batter on top, then cook the whole thing. Another on pot meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.K.! Here is one you may or may not like. It is almost the recipe used by a famous Restaurant all over the country. Its very sweet and cake-ie. Make a corn bread mix right off the Albers corn meal box. Make a yellow cake right off the box. mix the two together, pure into two 10" ovens and cook. You now have M. C.s famous cornbread

    ReplyDelete
  4. THis is my favorite cornbread recipe. You can add blueberries instead of green chiles.

    Quintessential Cornbread muffins
    Ingredients:
    1 cup cornmeal
    1 cup plus 1 TBSP all purpose flour
    4 TBSP, plus 4 tsp sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 large eggs
    1& 1/3 cup sour cream
    4 TBSP unsalted butter melted and cooled
    Can green chiles
    Preheat oven to 400°.
    Mix (wisk) together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
    In a glass cup wisk egg and sour cream.
    Stir egg mixture into flour mixture. Fold in the butter and green chiles.
    Fill muffin containers until almost full
    Bake for 15 to 18 minutes til a wooden toothpick comes out clean.
    Cool on a wire rack.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails