Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 56: Taco Pizza

Sorry for the late post today. I got up this morning to write today's post, turned on the computer, and nothing happened. I was very nervous! I checked everything twice, and finally figured out that my monitor had died. It was old. A dinosaur by today's standards. At 8 years old, it had lived a full life. So now I finally had a reason to go buy an LCD monitor. A big one! So I am now happily typing on a 22" screen! It feels like Christmas. My old, huge, fat, heavy monitor is gone. Thin is in.
Okay, recipe time. I think old mother Hubbard moved into my house, because all my cupboards are bare. I went through everything I had in the kitchen, and came up with taco pizza. I got the idea from Papa Murphy's Pizza. They had a taco pizza for a while, and it was good! So here goes!
Taco Pizza
14" dutch oven
1 roll refrigerated pizza crust or the crust recipe of your choice
2 cans re fried beans
1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. taco seasoning
1 small onion, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup water
shredded cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese
sliced olives
chopped tomatoes
lettuce
salsa
ranch dressing
Brown the ground beef and onion in your DO. I used about 20 coals for this. Drain off any grease and add 1 can of re fried beans, taco seasoning and water. Stir well, and add more water if necessary to get the desired consistency. Remove from your DO and keep warm. Unroll the pizza crust and press into your hot DO. Bake at 400* for about 10 minutes. I used 24 coals on top and 12 on the bottom. Remove from heat. Spread the other can of re fried beans over the crust. Spread the meat mixture over the beans. Sprinkle with cheese and olives. Return to the heat and cook for 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa and ranch dressing. Serves 10-12.
The Finished Product

The Review
This was really good. Baking it for a few minutes before putting the toppings on was smart. I learned from the biscuit pizza bake. It did get it a little too brown on the bottom, so when you put it back on the coals after putting on the toppings be sure to move a few from the bottom to the top. Next time, I will mix some green chilies into the bean layer to give it some kick. All my kids loved it! They even had the leftovers for breakfast. Grade B+.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Toni,

    Yeah, I still burn the bottom of things when I preheat or prebake parts of a bread recipe. I'm right there with ya. :)

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails