Monday, March 1, 2010

Day 60: Moist Garlic Chicken

Day 60! I can't believe it has already been 2 months! So far, I still love using my DO. It is not super convenient sometimes, but I have really learned how important it is to plan ahead. I rarely have those hectic evenings where I don't know what's for dinner. Come to think of it, I haven't had one of those nights for about 2 months now.
You might be noticing that things at dutch oven madness are looking a little bit different today. Well, that's because I was up until about midnight figuring out how to change the HTML code to a three column design. After much trial and error and a lot of Internet searching, I finally did it. Over the next while, I will be adding a few things to make the site more interesting and easier to use! So stay tuned.
I've been on a chicken kick lately. Normally, we don't eat quite this much chicken, but it is so easy to cook in the DO, and it tastes really good. This is another recipe I have been making for years. I was scared to try it at first because it has a lot of garlic in it, and I wasn't sure if my kids would eat it. But once again they surprised me with their willingness to try something new! Hmmm...I wonder where they got that from...
Moist Garlic Chicken
10" or 12" dutch oven
1/3 cup melted butter (use real butter)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbs. shredded Parmesan cheese
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
In a bowl, combine the butter, garlic, garlic powder and salt. In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs and cheeses. Dip chicken in butter then in bread crumbs. Place in your oiled DO. Bake at 350* for 45 minutes or until juices run clear. Use 14/6 (top/bottom) coals for a 10" and 16/8 (top/bottom) coals for a 12".
The Finished Product
I really need to work on my photography!
What I learned
When I've cooked meat without any sauce, I've needed to redistribute the coals a little. If I use the normal formula for coals I tend to burn the bottoms. So for this I took 2 coals from the bottom and put them on the top and they cooked better.
The Review
This was more delicious in the DO than when it is cooked indoors. I don't know why that should surprise me! It was easy and cooked beautifully. My kids love this enough that they will eat it without slathering it with BBQ sauce. I think that is the highest compliment kids can give a meal! I love garlic, so it follows that I would love this dish. I give it an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails