Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 65: Chipotle Chicken Nachos

I think I have found another great camping recipe. This is so easy. The meat could be made ahead of time and just reheated at camp. The best part about it is the chipotle peppers. I have never used them before, but boy am I glad I discovered them. You can get them at any grocery store in the Latin foods section. They come in a little unassuming can and you would never know they packed such great flavor! Just one whiff and I was hooked. They are sweet, spicy and best of all smokey. I have to find some more recipes for these little babys.

Chipotle Chicken Nachos
10" dutch oven
3 cups shredded, cooked chicken
1 1/2 medium onions, sliced thin
3 med. tomatoes
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbs. oil
1 can black beans, drained
I boiled my chicken in a DO on my propane camp stove. When it is cooked, drain and shred it. Add some oil and the onions to the DO and cook until the onions are tender. I used 12-15 coals for that. In a blender, puree the tomatoes and peppers with adobo sauce. Add to the chicken mixture and add salt, pepper, garlic powder and black beans. Cover and let simmer a few minutes. Serves 8-10.

The Finished Product



The Review
Wow, these were good! They had such great flavor. Those chipotle peppers are the bomb! They have quite a kick on the back end. The first bite isn't too spicy, but by the time you get to the second bite, you can feel the heat. But don't be afraid, even my 4 year old loved them, so they are pretty family friendly. She said they were "spicing my neck so I had to get a drink". This recipe would also be great in tacos or on tostadas. You could even get those individual bags of Doritos, crush them up and add the meat and toppings and eat them right out of the chip bag. I may try this as a enchilada filling. The possibilities are endless. Grade: A.

5 comments:

  1. This would be good rolled up in a burieto(sp)shell then deep fried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMmmmmmmmmm

    Defiantly some good camping grub there. I think Chipotle peppers can go in the "food of the gods" category along with Bacon and Chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "spicing my neck" sounds yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you have officially inspired me to DO cook up camping for every meal..well Breakfast and dinner. Thats my goal this summer :) O yeah and tonz outside just because. Great recipe looks soooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I'm also addicted to Chipolte anything haha :)

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails