Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day 68: Utah Moist Supreme Cornbread

After my last cornbread post, I got a lot of emails with cornbread recipes--thanks to everyone, by the way. There were several that were similar in that they used a cake mix as an ingredient. I have heard about these recipes, but never tried them until now. I am told that it is a lot like the cornbread at a national restaurant chain whose initials are M.C. The problem I had with this particular kind of recipe is that they make A LOT, even by my standards. So I chose to try the one that was the easiest to cut in half. It is from Jan Olpin.
I still can't believe how easy corn bread is in the dutch oven. I turns out so moist and yummy and so much better than in my oven. You haven't eaten corn bread until you've had it DO style.
Utah Moist Supreme Cornbread
12" dutch oven
1 box yellow cake mix
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. baking powder
3 1/4 cups milk
4 eggs
1 cup oil
Mix the dry ingredients and whisk together. (If you are cutting it in half, take out half of the dry ingredients and store in a Ziploc bag. I think I took out just shy of 4 cups. Of course you will also cut the wet ingredients in half.) Combine the wet ingredients and add to the dry. Mix until moistened. Pour into an oiled 12" DO. Bake at 400* for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I used 19 coals on top and 10 on the bottom. Serves 12-15.
Honey Butter
1 cup butter
3/4 cup honey
Beat togther until smooth.
The Finished Product
The Review
This was really moist, sweet cornbread. The cake mix really made a difference. This is the kind of cornbread that you can eat all by itself. It is good as is. If I am making cornbread to go with a spicy soup like chili or taco soup I will make a traditional cornbread, but for any other meal, I will make this one. If you make the full recipe it makes 2 12" ovens full. Even my big family can't eat that much in one day. However, it will still be nice and moist tomorrow and maybe even the next day. I liked it a lot, and it would be great with honey butter. This one will go into my tried and true file. Grade: A-.

2 comments:

  1. My kids loved it. They thought it was a treat rather than part of the meal. You know it is a hit if that happens!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails