Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 73: Shepherd's Pie

I thought with St. Patrick's day coming up I would try some St. Patty's Day recipes. Shepherd's Pie is a classic English/Irish dish. It is pure comfort food. I went online to the Taste of Home website and did a search. The picture of this recipe looked really good, so I thought I would give it a try.
Shepherd's Pie
12" dutch oven
2 1/2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and cooked
1-1 1/2 cups sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbs. melted butter
I cooked the potatoes in my DO with about 25 coals. Remove them to a bowl and mash with sour cream. Add the salt and pepper; set aside. In the same DO, cook beef, onion and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. I used 20 coals. Stir in garlic salt. Stir in soup, corn and milk
Spread the meat mixture in the DO and top with mashed potatoes; drizzle with butter. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Use 10 coals on the bottom and 14 on top. Serves 8-10.
The Review

Don't waste your time. Seriously, don't. It wasn't even worth taking a picture of. This recipe was a total waste of ground beef and charcoal. I thought it would at least be edible, but I was wrong. In all fairness, a couple of my kids liked it, but overall, it was a flop. So I did another Internet search and found another one that looks really good. I will post it in the next few days. I wouldn't make this again if I were starving to death! Okay, maybe I would, but I'd probably try eating bugs first. Grade D-. I'll save the grade F recipe category for the food even the cat won't eat.

2 comments:

  1. Shephards Pie is one of my favorite DO dishes.

    Here is my base recipe... Last time I cooked it I needed to pit more heat on top, will try taking half the bottom bricks and add to the top halfway through the cooking.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Shepherd's Pie Ala Shawn

    Recipe By :Shawn Jeffries
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : American Good Food
    Ground Beef Main Dishes

    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 teaspoons bacon drippings
    1 pound ground beef, lean
    1 large red onion -- diced
    4 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 cup green beans -- cut 1" thick
    3 each carrot -- diced
    3 each corn on the cob -- remove kernels
    Salt and pepper -- to taste
    3 teaspoons dried thyme
    3 teaspoons dried rosemary
    1 each dried ancho pepper -- chopped
    4 each potato
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup buttermilk

    Pre heat oven to 350°

    In a cast iron skillet brown the beef in the drippings, add onions and ancho chiles till translucient.

    Meanwhile in a pot cook of salted water cook the potatoes.

    Add Corn, beans, and carrots to the mix. Cook 10 mins and add salt and pepper, thyme and rosemarry.

    When the potatoes are done put them into a food mill with the butter and buttermilk, or mash with whatever is handy.

    Place the meat mixture in a caserole dish and smooth out. Add potatoes on top of the meat mixture.

    Place uncovered in the oven for 30 minutes till brown on top.

    Copyright:
    "2010 Jan"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 400 Calories; 22g Fat (48.8% calories from fat); 18g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 69mg Cholesterol; 138mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat.


    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

    ReplyDelete
  2. First let me tell you that I stumbled upon your blog a while back and I've been stalking it ever since.

    I just love what you're doing - wish I could do this right along with you but I have a serious fear of commitments and, well, I'm just done right lazy.

    Sorry the recipe didn't turn out as great as you hoped - I hate when then happens - total waste of good food!

    I have a fantastic Cottage Pie recipe that I think you will love...

    I'm sure this can be easily adapted for the DO.

    2 pounds of ground beef
    2-15 oz cans of mixed vegetables, drained
    1-15 oz can of whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
    1-7 oz box of instant mashed potatoes, prepared per package instructions or 4 cups of homemade mashed potatoes
    2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
    1 medium-large onion, chopped
    1/4 cup beef stock or water
    2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp ketchup
    2 Tbsp flour
    1 tsp season salt + additional to taste
    1/2 tsp garlic salt + additional to taste
    1/2 tsp cracked pepper + additional to taste

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    Over medium heat and in medium pot brown ground beef with chopped onions and seasonings -drain off 3/4 of liquid, reserving some in pot with meat mixture – return to heat.
    Lightly sprinkle flour over meat mixture, stirring constantly.
    Add Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and stock, mix well – simmer until sauce has thickened.
    Stir in mixed vegetables until well incorporated.
    Taste meat and vegetable mixture – re-season if necessary – remove from heat.
    In a 9x13 baking or casserole dish spoon meat mixture in the bottom.
    Evenly layer the corn over meat mixture (optional).
    Spoon and gently spread the prepared mashed potatoes evenly over the corn, fluff he top of potatoes with fork.
    Sprinkle cheese evenly over the mashed potatoes layer.
    Bake for 20 – 30 minutes until cheese has melted and/or browned and the Country Sheppard’s Pie has been heated through.
    If you like your cheese a little more browned and bubbly, place under broiler for a couple of minutes – watching carefully so it doesn’t over-brown.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails