Monday, March 15, 2010

Day 74: Garlicky Baked Butternut Squash

Winter made another appearance by "blessing" us with 3" of new snow. It was the wettest, stickiest stuff we've seen all year. I just groaned because I knew it was going to be a pain to light coals. And I was right. I guess it would have helped if I had brought my charcoal inside the house instead of forgetting and leaving it under the picnic table. My bad! Oh well, it all worked out okay, and everything cooked beautifully.
I know I have mentioned my current love affair with butternut squash. I can't get enough of the stuff. It is so easy to cook, so nutritious and very delicious. My kids hate it. I mean really hate it. They all have a fit when they have to take one bite whenever we have it. I tell them it will build character, make them better people. They just roll their eyes and try to gag it down while I stifle a giggle. This recipe was adapted from one I found on allrecipes.
Garlicky Baked Butternut Squash
10" dutch oven
2 Tbs. minced fresh parsley ( I used 1 Tbs. dried)
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 cloves minced garlic
3 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used about 1/2 cup)
In your DO, combine the parsley, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the squash and toss to coat. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until squash is just tender. I used 17 coals on top and 9 on the bottom. Serves 6.
The Finished Product
The Review
Oh this was good. My hubby and I loved it. The garlic is perfect with the squash. I cooked mine a little too long so it browned a little to much on the bottom, but it still tasted great. The original recipe calls for the squash to be cut into 1" chunks and cooked for 1 hour, but I didn't have that much time, so I cut mine smaller so they cooked faster. This recipe will go into my Tried and True file. I will make this again. Grade A.

2 comments:

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails