Friday, March 26, 2010

Day 85: Italian Bread Wedges

I've spent the last 2 days trying to plan a menu for the next 2 weeks. It used to be pretty easy to do, but now that I have to come up with something new to try every day, its been more of a challenge. Even though I have a million recipes, I haven't tried most of them. I wish the "menu planning fairy" would just drop by every 2 weeks.
I've been really encouraged by my small successes with yeast breads. It makes me want to try a whole bunch of them. I really need to experiment with some recipes. I think I need to make a trip over to Mark's Black Pot for some tried and true recipes and some great instruction on making loaves. He has some really great resources. If you are experimenting with breads, it is worth the time to visit his site.
Today's recipe is another bread stick recipe. I have been in search of the perfect bread stick recipe. There are some really good ones out there, but I have to say, this is my new favorite! Read on...
Italian Bread Wedges
14" dutch oven
3 tsp. active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. oil
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2-3 cups flour
Topping:
1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
dash pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, and 2 cups of flour; mix until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Pat dough flat. Let rest for 5 minutes. Press into an oiled 14" dutch oven. Spread with salad dressing. Combine the garlic powder, oregano, thyme and pepper; sprinkle over the dough. Top with cheeses. Bake a 450* for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. I used 26 coals on top and 14 on the bottom. Be sure to preheat the lid of you DO. Cut into wedges and serve warm. Serves 10-12.
The Finished Product

The Review
These are my new favorite bread sticks--bar none! These were so good. Next time I'm going to have to make at least 2 pans of these. My kids fought over the last few. The Italian dressing added great flavor. I didn't have enough mozzarella cheese, so I used half cheddar. You could also use a blend of Parmesan, Asiago and Romano instead of the straight Parmesan. I just can't say enough about how good these were. You have to make these--tonight! Easy A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails