Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 87: Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

I've been having problems with my Internet since last night. I haven't been able to get online at all for almost 24 hours. I've been waiting not so patiently for the problem to be worked out. I finally called my ISP. It turns out that the problem is not with my ISP at all. It is with a k-i-d. Apparently, one of my little monsters unplugged something important. So, now that I am back online, I can post today's recipe, albeit 12 hours late.

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
10" dutch oven
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped pecans (I left these out, I'm allergic)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and 1 1/4 cups sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour into an oiled dutch oven. Combine the pecans (I used extra chocolate chips), cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over the batter.
Bake at 350* for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. I used 7 coals on the bottom and 13 on top. I got side tracked and forgot about it and just let mine cook for 1 hour without changing coals, and it was perfect (luckily). Serves 10-12.
The Finished Product
The Review
This was Gooood! It was really rich. I would recommend a glass of milk along with this cake. It wasn't super chocolaty, which was good considering how rich it was. This I one I will make to take to the neighbors when we have a service baking day at our house. My kids love doing that! The top was nice and crispy thanks to the sugar topping. We really liked it. This gets an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails