Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Day 104: Guiltless Baked Zucchini

I probably should have saved this recipe for July or August when my garden in overflowing with zucchini, but I found it on sale and I wanted a preview of summer. Zucchini is one of my (many)favorite veggies. I can't think of any off the top of my head that I don't like, but zucchini is on the short list of faves. You can put it in just about anything, but it has such great flavor that I like to eat is on its own. Normally this recipe is deep fried and full of calories. Not that I have anything against calories, they taste GREAT, but I could probably do without some once in a while. So after all the yummy dutch oven food we have enjoyed so far this year, here is a healthy choice!

Guiltless Baked Zucchini
14" dutch oven

2-3 medium zucchini, cut into spears
2 eggs
1-2 Tbs. milk
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
Butter or cooking spray
Spray the bottom of your DO with cooking spray. (I don't like the propellants in cooking spray, so I just oiled my oven.) Combine the eggs and milk in a bowl. In another bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper. Dip each zucchini piece in the egg mixture, then dip into bread crumbs until evenly coated. Place zucchini in you DO and spray each piece with cooking spray. Bake at 425* for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot with ranch dressing or marinara sauce. Serves 4-6.

The Finished Product

The Review

These were awesome! If I hadn't made them myself, I would never have guessed they were baked! They were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside--just like some people I know! :) I will, for sure, be making these again. Even my zucchini hating 7 year old loved them. Of course the ranch dressing could have had something to do with that. But whatever it takes for them to eat their veggies! Don't wait for summer to make these, they were great! Grade: A.

2 comments:

  1. Look good something else to add to my "to cook" list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't like the propellant in the spray Pam, there are oil sprayers that you pump up with air. You can put the oil of your choice in it, filling 1/3 full and pump up the pressure. Then spray it like a Pam can. Here's a link to one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Gourmet-Brushed-Aluminum-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1271295985&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails