Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 110: Chicken Lo Mein

Today's will be a quick post. I'm on my way outside to work in my garden and take advantage of the 80* weather since it will be snowing tomorrow. You gotta love spring in Utah!

Today's recipe comes from a site called Stephanie's kitchen. I found this site just recently, and there are some pretty good recipes there. I had to modify this one just a little bit. The first time I made it, it was so salty that we could hardly eat it. You can find the original recipe at the link.

Chicken Lo Mein
10" dutch oven

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 lb. spaghetti noodles, cooked and drained
1 bag frozen stir fry vegetables
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbs. cornstarch
2 cloves minced garlic

Mix together broth, soy sauce, cornstarch and garlic. In your DO, heat the oil and add the chicken. Cook until almost done and add vegetables. I used about 15 coals for this. Cook until heated through and chicken is no longer pink. Add noodles and sauce and cook until sauce thickens, about5-8 minutes. Cook 2-3 minutes more, stirring frequently. Serves 4-6.

The Finished Product


The Review

The first time I made this it was way to salty, but we still liked the sauce. The second time, I took out a bouillon cube, and used low sodium broth and soy sauce, and it made a huge difference. We really liked the sauce. Next time I make a stir fry, I'll use this sauce recipe. Its a great week night meal because it comes together so quickly, and it uses ingredients I always have on hand. A lot of people consider this a side dish to something like sweet and sour chicken, but I added more chicken and veggies so it could be a meal on its own. Its probably not something I will make on a regular basis, but for nights we get home late or have a lot to do, it will be a great option. Grade B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails