Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day 114: Super Sloppy Joes

What a beautiful Saturday.  After 3 straight days of rain, its nice to see the sun.  I never thought about the weather this much before I started cooking outside.  If it rained, it rained.  No big deal.  Now I plan my cooking around the weather.  Too funny! 
Last night was a busy night.  I knew I had to be gone, and my hubby had to work, so I cooked dinner in the afternoon and let the kids heat it up later.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of it.  So, you'll have to take my word for how good this one is.

Super Sloppy Joes
12" dutch oven

2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 celery ribs, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 2/3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup ketchup
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1 Tbs. vinegar
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs. steak sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
1/4 tsp. paprika
8-10 hamburger buns

In your DO, over about 18-20 coals, cook the beef, onion, celery and green pepper until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain if necessary.  Add the next 9 ingredients; mix well.  Simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.  I removed a few coals so that it was at a slow boil.  Serves 8-10

The Review

This is my favorite sloppy joe recipe.  I like that it doesn't use tomato soup or sauce, and isn't full of BBQ sauce.  It tastes like it has fresh ingredients.  Its just the right mix of sweet and tangy.  This would be an easy camping meal.  It does have to simmer a while, so I just let it cook until the coals are about finished.  Sometimes we will top it with some shredded cheese, and my weird kids like to add a few potato chips on top, too.  This gets a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails