Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Day 117: Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs

Good morning everyone!  I got the idea for these meatballs from a meatloaf recipe.  I found a mozzarella cheese stuffed meatloaf (which I will probably make soon), and thought it would be good on a smaller scale.  You all know how much I like meatballs-- its strange, I know.  And if you fill them full of cheesy goodness, they are even harder for me to resist. 

Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
12" dutch oven

1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
2 cloves minced garlic
1 lb. lean ground beef (be sure to use lean)
2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley (I used 1 Tbs. dried)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1/2" cubes mozzarella

Soak the bread crumbs in milk.  Add the beef, garlic, parsley, Parmesan, egg and salt.  Mix well.  Take about  2 Tbs. of meat and form into a ball.  Press a cheese cube into the center of each meatball, being careful to completely seal the cheese inside.  Bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes using 14 coals on top and 10 on the bottom.  Serve with marinara sauce.  Serves 6.

The Finished Product

I wanted to take a pic of the cheese inside, but like I said, some of it leaked out!

The Review

These were yummy!  I loved the cheese surprise inside.  But be sure to use lean ground beef.  I mistakenly bought only 80% lean beef and they were a little greasy.  I also didn't seal the meatballs very well, so some of the cheese leaked out.  But as far as flavor, this is one of my favorite meatball recipes.  This recipe will go into our normal meal rotation.  The kids loved it, and so did the hubby!  We gave these a B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails