Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 93: Poppy Seed Bread

Happy Day Before Easter!! I hope everyone is enjoying all the Easter egg hunts and time with family. I have a few minutes between our egg hunt and a family BBQ to finally post today's recipe. I do have one thing to be grateful for today, it didn't snow like the weather man said it would. It is cold, but that never stopped us from a BBQ before, so we won't let it now. I have to say, I totally screwed up this bread. I mixed it properly and cooked it at the right temperature, but I totally forgot about it until I was halfway through my Friday night class. By that time about 4 hours had passed since I put it on the coals. Thank heaven coals eventually go out, because if I had put this in the oven, we would have had a fire sooner or later! I had too many irons in the fire! This recipe comes from a cook book called Lion House Classics.
Poppy Seed Bread
10" dutch oven


1/4 cup butter, melted
3 1/2 Tbs. oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. poppy seeds
Orange Almond Icing:
1 Tbs. orange juice
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
In a mixing bowl, cream butter, oil, eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and almond extract. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder and poppy seeds. Add to the first mixture and blend well, but don't over mix. Pour into your oiled dutch oven and bake at 325* for 45 minutes (or 4 hours if your me!) Serve plain or with orange almond icing. For the icing, mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and spread over bread.
The Finished Product

The Review

Even though it sat for hours before I remembered it, it was pretty good. I really can't make a good judgement since I totally messed it up. We all ate it and liked it, but it wasn't as good as it could have been. So I am going to reserve judgement on this recipe since I think it would be really good if it were cooked properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails