Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 129: Creamy Tomato Pasta

First thing this morning, I have to apologize for the stupid ads that now appear on my blog.  I was trying to stay "ad free", but the cost of charcoal and food are adding up.  I'm going through about 6 bags a month, sometimes more.  Seriously, we have never eaten this good.  My kids are getting really spoiled.  They are used to a couple of days a week of leftovers or a "fend for your self" night (at least for the older children).  Those have been few and far between this year. : ) 
I found this recipe on a site called Summer's Recipes.  I really like homemade Alfredo sauce.  I have several recipes for it, but I haven't found the perfect Alfredo recipe yet.  Of course, even the worst homemade recipe trumps the best Alfredo sauce from a jar.

Creamy Tomato Pasta
10" dutch oven

1 cup Alfredo sauce (recipe follows)
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
4-5 cups cooked pasta  (I used penne)
3 cups vegetables, cooked al dente
shredded Parmesan cheese

Alfredo sauce
3 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
2 cups whole milk
4 oz. cream cheese, cut into cubes
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

In your DO, over about 15 coals, boil water and cook the veggies.  Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.  Add pasta to the same pot, and cook until al dente.  Drain water  and set pasta aside.  In the same DO, make the sauce.  Melt the butter and whisk in the flour.  Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly.  Add the cream cheese and whisk to combine.  Allow cream cheese to melt and the sauce to heat without boiling.  Add the Parmesan cheese.  Simmer until it is melted.  Add the salt, garlic powder and pepper to taste.  Remove all but 1 1/2 cups of sauce from the DO.  Add the pasta, veggies and tomatoes to the sauce and mix well.  Add more sauce if you like it creamier.  Top with shredded Parmesan cheese.  Bake at 350*, using 12 coals on top and 8 on the bottom, for 20-25 minutes.  Serves about 6.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was good.  The tomatoes gave it a nice pink color that was really pretty.  The sauce was good, but it isn't the recipe I'm looking for.  I know there is the perfect Alfredo sauce recipe out there.  Maybe adding some Romano cheese.  Overall, the sauce was a little bland.  Somewhere it needs some herbs or something to enhance the flavor.  I think this recipe has potential, and the sauce will be what makes the difference.  I did add a little leftover cooked chicken I had in the fridge.  Your could also use ham, or shrimp would be really good.  I'm going to give this one a B-, but I'm going to work on it and see if I can make it better.  What is your favorite Alfredo recipe?  Do you have a great one?  If you do, please share!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Toni - here's my alfredo, with the butter and cream, it sure isn't fat free, but it sure tastes wonderful.

    1/2 c. butter
    2 c. heavy cream
    ¼ tsp garlic powder
    1/8 tsp pepper
    ¼ c grated Parmesan cheese

    Melt Butter then add all other ingredients except the cheese. Let simmer 10 minutes. When sauce starts to thicken add cheese.

    Good Luck!
    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni,

    You are my hero. I cook weekends, and only post about things I find, primers, reviews, etc during the week. I author the Back Porch Gourmet at: http://www.backporchgourmet.com. I can't imagine cooking on charcoal every night for a year. Don't worry about the ads. Charcoal adds up, and it just sits there and burns.

    Try my alfredo sauce recipe here:http://www.backporchgourmet.com/2010/01/dutch-oven-duel-creamed-dill-basa.html

    I adapted it, but add some italian spices and withhold the fish.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails