Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 137: Jam Swirl Coffee Cake

I love coffee cakes and quick breads.  They come together quickly and make great breakfasts and snacks.  Heaven knows with all my kids, there is always a shortage of snacks.  I didn't have everything I needed for this recipe, so I kind of improvised.  I hate it when I'm out of everything.  I don't bake very often, but my oldest son does.  The problem is that he doesn't tell me when we run out of something, so I don't know until I need it.  Ah well, it keeps life interesting!  I got this recipe from about.com.

Jam Swirl Coffee Cake
10" dutch oven

2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup apricot jam
1/2 cup strawberry jam

Topping:
2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 Tbs. flour
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I left these out)

In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut in butter until it makes a fine crumbly mixture.  Add the egg and milk; stir just until combined.  Spoon batter into a greased 10" DO.  Spoon the jam over the batter, then swirl through the batter with a knife.  Mix topping ingredients with a fork until crumbly and sprinkle evenly over the batter.  Bake at 400*, using 17 coals on top and 8 on the bottom, for 30 minutes or until it tests done.  Serve 8-10.

The Finished Product





The Review

This was good, even though I was out of everything.  I only have one kind of jam left, and it isn't my favorite.  It was beet jelly that tastes a little like raspberry, but not quite enough like raspberry.  I was also out of brown sugar, and white sugar just doesn't do the same thing in a topping.  That being said, my family liked it, and the idea behind it is really good.  I think it would be best with apricot and strawberry jam or peach and raspberry.  Next time I make it, I'll also add some cinnamon and nutmeg to either the batter or the topping.  I'm giving this a B, not because my attempt deserves it, but because if it were made properly (with all the right ingredients)  it would be really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails