Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 144: Hot Chicken and Rice Salad

I sent an email to the folks at Kingsford yesterday telling them all about what I'm doing and the problems I'm having with their product.  I'm really hoping I get a good response from them.  I'll be disappointed if all they tell me is to try the things mentioned in the FAQ section of their site, because I've already tried them and more.  I'll have to post their reply here when I get it.  They said to expect one within 48 hours, so stay tuned!

I had a lot going on last night.  My sweet niece, against all odds, graduated from high school!  We are so proud of her!  As a result, we had a quick and easy dinner last night!  I found this at Real Mom Kitchen.  I love this blog and I check it often, especially when I can't figure out what to make for dinner!

Hot Chicken and Rice Salad
12' dutch oven

2 cups cooked chicken, diced
1 cup celery, diced
2 cups of cooked rice
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 cup fresh mushroom, sliced (I didn't have any so I used shredded carrots)
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup corn flakes (I used Ritz crackers)
1 (4 oz) pkg slice almonds (I left these out--food allergies!)

In a bowl combine chicken, celery, rice, mayonnaise, mushrooms, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and cream of chicken soup. Mix ingredients until well combined.   Pour mixture into a 12" DO and spread out evenly in the pot.  Combine corn flakes and butter until corn flakes are well coated with butter. Spoon corn flake mixture evenly over chicken/rice mixture. Bake at 400* for 15 minutes using 19 coals on top and 10 on the bottom.
Sprinkle with sliced almonds and cook 5 more minutes. Serves 6-8.

The Finished Product
 
 
The Review
 
I have to say, this was pretty good.  For a meal that only cooks for 15 or 20 minutes, I can't complain.  Its not something that will go into regular meal rotation, but when I need something fast, its just the ticket.  Everyone ate it and no one complained so its a success in my book.  I'll keep this one around just for busy days.  Grade B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails