Friday, June 4, 2010

Day 154: Spanish Rice

I have a million things to do today, so just a quick post!
I love Spanish rice, but I have yet to find a recipe that rivals any restaurant recipe.  Its kind of like my quest for the perfect Alfredo recipe.  They are my unicorns.  : )  But I have to say, it is kind of fun to keep trying new recipes!

Spanish Rice
10" dutch oven

1 cup white rice
1/2 onion, chopped
1 can tomato sauce
1 large can diced tomatoes
1/2 can (4 oz.) green chilies
1-2 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin

Cook the rice and onion in a little oil until the rice is lightly browned.  I used as many  coals as I could fit under my DO.  Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chilies and water.  Add remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil and cover.  Simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.  Remove enough coals that it stays at a steady simmer.  I started with 1 cup of water but it wasn't enough so I had to add more.  Just keep an eye on it when you stir it.  Serves 4.

I went to upload the pic and realized I forgot to take one!  Sorry!

The Review

The fam liked this version pretty well.  This is one of the better Spanish rice recipes I've tried.  I'll probably stick with this one until I find one I like more.  It wasn't too spicy, and I'll add more green chilies next time.  I like how easy it was.  I had it simmering in just a few minutes.  It would go great with any kind of Mexican or Tex-Mex meal.  Grade:  B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails