Friday, June 11, 2010

Day 161: Cinnamon Rolls

I keep hoping we will settle into a summertime routine soon.  Its chaos around here with all the kids home.  But we decided we needed to make a treat to celebrate the fact the the garden is  finally in.  I only had to plant it twice thanks to Mother Nature.  Oh well, its good practice for my kids and they love to plant anyway. 
We wanted a special treat that we don't get very often,and cinnamon rolls fit the bill.  I don't make these very often, but I should because they aren't very hard and they're delicious.  I got this recipe from Cindy Boyer at the IDOS Spring Convention.

Cinnamon Rolls
14" dutch oven

Dough:
5-6 cups flour
2 Tbs. active dry yeast
2/3 cups sugar
1 Tbs. salt
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk, warmed
1/2 cup milk, warmed
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup butter, melted

Filling:
2 Tbs. butter
2 cups brown sugar
2-3 Tbs. cinnamon

Frosting:
1/2 up butter or margarine
1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

For the dough:  In a mixing bowl combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; blend well.  Mix in the warm evaporated milk and warm milk, egg and melted butter.  Mix thoroughly.  Mix in remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.  Turn out onto a floured surface and knead it for 5 minutes until dough becomes elastic and sticky.  Roll dough generously in flour, then cover and place in a warm area to rise until double.

Assembly:
Punch the dough down and roll into a rectangle about 9 x 13 inches.  Brush dough with melted butter, spread on brown sugar and sprinkle on the cinnamon.  Roll up jellyroll style starting with the long end.  Cut into 13 1 inch rolls.  Place rolls in a lightly greased 14" dutch oven with 8 rolls around the outside edge, 4 rolls forming an inner circle, and 1 roll in the center.  Cover dutch oven and let rise 15 minutes.
Bake using 10 briquettes on the bottom and 18-20 on top, until rolls are lightly browned.  Total baking time will be between 20 and 30 minutes.  For even browning rotate the oven and lid every 10 minutes.  Cool and frost.

Frosting:
Cream butter and cream cheese in a bowl.  Gradually add sugar and vanilla; beat well.  Spread on cooled rolls. 

The Finished Product

Before the frosting!

The Review

I doubled this recipe and baked some in my kitchen and some in my DO.  Can you guess which ones turned out better?  You guessed it, big surprise, the DO rolls were better.  I don't know why I'm still surprised by that.  These cinnamon rolls were ooey, gooey and delish!  I wish I could eat them everyday!  But since I'm already getting fat from all the good food we've had around, I'll refrain.  This recipe gets an easy A.

1 comment:

  1. I am gojng to try them in the DO in the kitchen. I am assuming this would be 350 degrees for 20 - 30 min???

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails