Saturday, June 19, 2010

Day 169: Oatmeal Carmelita's

Yesterday, my hubby took off to run the Wasatch Back relay with a team of public safety personnel in our area.  It is a 188 mile relay race from Logan, Utah to Park City, Utah.  I personally think he's crazy.  Why would I run that far when I have a perfectly good car to drive?  But he loves it, so who am I to complain.  Anyway, he wanted me to buy him some treats to take with him.  But being the frugal gal that I am, I made treats instead.  I figured he'd need some carbs to keep his energy up and lots of sugar to keep him awake during his midnight run.  So I chose these little goodies.

Oatmeal Carmelita's
10" dutch oven

1 cup flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 t. soda
1/4 t. salt
3/4 cup margarine, melted
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans (I'm allergic to pecans so I used peanuts)
3/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
3 T. flour

In a large bowl, combine flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, soda, salt.  Melt the butter in a 10" dutch oven.  Mix the flour mixture into the butter until crumbly.  Remove about 1/2 of the dough from the pan and set aside.  Very carefully press the dough into the dutch oven.  Bake at 350* with 1 ring on the top and bottom for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans. Blend caramel topping and 3 T. flour; pour over chocolate and pecans to cover. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown. Chill 1-2 hours. Cut into bars.

The Finished Product


The Review
 
I cut these while they were warm and they were ooey, gooey and delicious.  They were equally yummy cold.  I love that I can do everything in 1 pot.  My kids have been begging me to make more, and I just don't have the heart to refuse.  Besides, I can't resist chocolate and caramel together.  I may even make this when we go camping.  It comes together so fast and is so easy.  Next time I may throw in a few marshmallows for fun.  I'm afraid these will be making regular appearances at our house.  Grade A.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Toni. I will have to catch up on your blog when I get home, I don't have a lap top.Keep up the great blog.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails