Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 184: Caramel Apple Cheesecake

This is another recipe from the Arkansas Dutch Oven Society's website.  This was also my first cheesecake!  I've made plenty of no bake cheesecakes, but this is my first baked cheesecake.  Before I made this I did a little online cheesecake research.  I really didn't want this to flop since my family was really looking forward to it. 

Caramel Apple Cheesecake
12" dutch oven

Crust

1 1/2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1/3 cup softened butter

Filling

5 pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
3 Tbs. flour
1 Tbs. vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs

Topping

2 Tbs. butter
3 medium apples, sliced
1/4 cup caramel apple topping
pecans (I left these out since I'm allergic)

Combine the crust ingredients and press into a 12" DO.  Beat the cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla well.  Add the sour cream and mix well.  Add the eggs, 1 at a time, blending well after each addition.  Pour into the crust.  Bake 40 minutes at 350° or until the center is almost set.  Cool completely.  Melt the butter in a small dutch oven over medium heat.  Add the apples and cook 3-5minutes until tender.  Pour caramel over the apples and heat until warm.  Pour over cake and sprinkle with pecans.  Serves 10.

The Finished Product

The cake is under all the apples.  There was no way I was going to get a single slice out of the pot!

The Review

I can't believe I was so intimidated by cheesecake.  Now that's not to say I made this one perfectly, but I'm not afraid to try another cheesecake recipe now.  This turned out really good.  I made mine in a 10" dutch oven and it was too small.  My cheesecake was about 6" thick (not that that's a bad thing) and it took longer to cook.  I also used caramel ice cream topping and it was too thin.  Go for the thick, gooey caramel because it thins out when it is mixed with the apples.  My family really liked this!  My kids picked off the topping while the adults savored every calorie laden bite.  I over cooked mine a little bit so it was a tad bit dry, but not too bad.  I'll keep this recipe on hand because it was really good.  Grade B+.

1 comment:

  1. I was skeptical about baking a cheesecake in a DO, but I followed your directions and it came out fantastic. I used parchment paper for a liner and it worked great as well. I made a note to add more sugar to the filling for the next time.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails