Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day 193: Alice Springs Chicken

I've been looking on the Internet for some good knock off restaurant recipes.  With my large family and since my hubby had some of his hours cut at work (courtesy of the recession--love it!)  we don't eat out very often at all.  When we do its usually the dollar menu at Wendy's.  So I told my kids we would just bring the restaurants home to us.  We use the nice tablecloths, put candles on the table and float lemon slices in the water pitchers.  We even put on some nice music and I play chef and waiter.  This is becoming a once a week ritual--kind of like veggie night.  I have to say, its really fun.  Its also a great way to brush up on using good manners before we're out in public.  : ) 

I ran across this Outback Steakhouse knock off on one of my favorite recipe sites.  I've never had the Alice Springs Chicken, so I can't tell you how close this one is to the real thing.  Even if its totally off the mark, it was totally worth trying!

Alice Springs Chicken
10" or 12" dutch oven

Honey Mustard Marinade:

1 c. Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
1 c. honey
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. lemon juice

Chicken:

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 c. sliced mushrooms (10−12 mushrooms)
2 Tbsp. butter
kosher salt and pepper
paprika
8 slices bacon, cooked
1 c. shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh parsley

Use an electric mixer to combine the mustard, honey, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Whip the mixture for about 30 seconds. Pour about half of the marinade over the chicken breasts and marinate them, covered, in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.

Chill the remaining marinade until later. After the chicken has marinated,  add 1 Tbsp. oil to your dutch oven over a full spread of coals.

Sear the chicken in the pan for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides (mine took 10-12 minutes total).  As the chicken is cooking, in a small dutch oven saute the mushrooms in the butter. Brush each seared chicken breast with a little of the reserved honey mustard marinade (not the portion that the chicken soaked in) being sure to save a little extra that you can serve on the side later with the dish.

Season the chicken with kosher salt, pepper and paprika. Stack two pieces of cooked bacon, crosswise on each chicken breast. Spoon the sauteed mushrooms onto the bacon, being sure to coat each breast evenly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup Monterrey Jack cheese evenly onto each breast followed by 1/4 cup of Cheddar.

Bake at 375° for 7-10 minutes or until cheese is thoroughly melted and starting to bubble. Use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom for a 12" oven.  Sprinkle each breast with 1/2 teaspoon parsley before serving. Put extra honey mustard marinade into a small bowl to serve on the side.

The Finished Product


I didn't realize how awful this pic is--trust me--it tastes awesome!

The Review

This was fabulous!  It makes me wonder why I couldn't come up with this myself.  It was very simple and very delicious!  The honey mustard marinade was perfect.  Good Dijon mustard is the secret here.  I accidentally overcooked my bacon and I didn't use nearly enough cheese, but it was still great.  A half cup of cheese per breast seemed like a lot, but that is part of what makes this so good.  This costs $11.99 for one person in the restaurant, and I serves 9 of us for about $15.  That smells like a bargain to me!  I have to give this one an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails