Monday, September 13, 2010

Day 255: Homemade Tortillas

This is the first time I've ever made homemade tortillas.  For some reason I always thought they'd be hard, or at least a pain to make.  They are actually really easy and doing them in the dutch oven is very simple.  My friend Marcene gave me this recipe.

Homemade Tortillas
12" dutch oven

3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
5-6 Tbs. vegetable oil
3/4 cup hot water

Mix the dry ingredients together.  Then cut in the oil until the mixture resembles crumbs.  Add the water and stir until it is crumbly.  If it is still too dry, add more water.  Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.  Cut the dough into 16 pieces, cover and let rest 15 minutes.  Roll out thin (you should be able to see through them).  Cook over a full spread of coals until lightly browned.  Don't use any to cook these.  16 tortillas.

The Finished Product


The Review

Not bad for my first time.  They tasted good and my kids loved rolling them out--hence the reason they aren't round.  The only thing I don't like about them is that they won't store, and they were a little dry.  I'll have to experiment with them more to see if I can make them better.  My kids loved them with honey butter and they are going to make them after school for a snack!  These were fun and they get an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails