Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Day 257: Apple Zucchini Bread

Apple season is in full swing in my neck of the woods.  I love this time of year!  There is a 10 acre apple orchard across the street from my house and after they're picked, we get to go through and glean whats left.  I make apple sauce, bottled apples, dehydrated apples, and everything I can think of with fresh apples.  When I ran across this recipe I knew I had to try it.  It comes from a Taste of Home magazine.

I have to give you one tip about making this in a dutch oven.  This recipe makes 3 loaves.  When I made this, I put one loaf in the oven and baked the rest of the batter (the equivalent of 2 loaves) in a 10" dutch oven.  I don't see any reason why you couldn't bake the entire batch in a 12" dutch oven.  When someone tries it let me know how it worked!  Thanks!

Apple Zucchini Bread

4 cups flour
1 Tbs. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
2 cups shredded zucchini (seed the zucchini if its large)
1 cup shredded peeled apples
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (I left these out, I'm allergic to pecans)

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.  In another bowl beat eggs.  Add oil, sugars and vanilla.  Pour over the dry ingredients; mix well.  Stir in the zucchini, apples and pecans (batter will be stiff).  Pour into a well greased dutch oven.  Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until it tests done.  Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing.  Cool completely.  3 loaves, or 1 12" dutch oven.

The Finished Product


So, apparently I forgot to take a picture of the one I cooked in my DO.  I think I need to go dye my hair a little lighter color-if you know what I mean.  This is the one loaf I made in my kitchen.  Why I have a picture of this one, I will never know.  :)


The Review

I really liked this bread.  Its not my favorite zucchini bread, but it has a nice flavor.  I was really hoping to taste the apples more.  I think next time I'll use 1 1/2 cups of zucchini and apples.  My hubby really liked that the crust was a little crunchy.  This is a delicious way to combine the flavors of summer and fall into one.  Grade A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails