Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 269: Southern Sunday Chicken

We had a really nice day yesterday!  We had some unexpected company, but we had a wonderful time visiting with old friends.  This is one time I'm extra glad I learned to cook in my dutch ovens.  I would never have been able to find a pot big enough to cook this meal for 16 people.  God bless my 14" dutch oven.  I tripled the recipe and it worked out perfectly.

Southern Sunday Chicken
10" dutch oven

1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp. butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 fresh mushrooms, sliced (I left these out)
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
3 Tbs. flour
1 cup evaporated milk
Hot cooked noodles or rice

In a large resealable bag, combine the first 6 ingredients.  Cut the chicken pieces into thirds; place in the bag and shake to coat.  In a dutch oven over a full spread of coals, melt the butter.  Brown the chicken on all sides; remove and keep warm.  Add the onion, celery and mushrooms to the dutch oven and cook until tender.  Return the chicken to the pan and add the broth.  Cover and simmer 20-25 minutes.  In a small bowl, whisk the milk and flour until smooth.  Add to the pot and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.  Serve over noodles or rice.  Serves 4.

The Finished Product


Sorry this pic is so bad.  Its is the last 2 pieces of chicken that I had to reheat for the picture. 

The Review

We really liked this dish.  It was very simple and didn't have a lot of flavors going on.  The chicken was also really tender.  The only thing I'd change is to add a little more in the way of vegetables.  I'll probably double the amount of celery and onion, and maybe add some shredded carrot.  Other than that, it made a really nice meal.  Our guests really liked it as well, and went home with the recipe.  I'll be keeping this one.  Grade B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails