Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 287: Noodle Rice Pilaf

I found this recipe in a church cookbook, and it seemed like just what I needed.  We had a pretty flavorful main dish, and I didn't want to overwhelm the meal with a spicy side dish. 

Noodle Rice Pilaf
10" dutch oven

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup uncooked fine egg noodles or vermicelli (break the vermicelli into 1" pieces)
2 3/4 cups chicken broth
2 Tbs. fresh minced parsley

In a dutch oven over a full spread of coals, melt the butter.  Add the rice and noodles and cook until lightly browned, stirring often.  Stir in broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and  simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender.  Move about 6 coals from the bottom of the pot onto the lid.  Stir in the parsley when cooked.  Serves 4-6.

The Finished Product

Still no camera!  I hope I can get it back soon, but my mom lives kind of far away!

The Review

This was pretty good.  If you are having a more heavily flavored main dish and need something a little more bland to round out the meal, then this is what you want.  We all liked it, but it really isn't anything to write home about.  I'll make it again, but not often.  Grade B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails