Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 335: Pumpkin Squares

This recipe is one of my mom's.  We would have these often in the fall.  I haven't made them in 10 or 12 years, so it was a blast from the past! 

Pumpkin Squares
12" dutch oven

1 box yellow cake mix (reserve 1 cup)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 egg

Filling

1 (29 oz.) can pumpkin
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup brown sugar

Topping

1 cup reserved cake mix
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Mix the crust ingredients together and press into the bottom of a greased 12" dutch oven.  Mix the filling ingredients and pour over the crust.  Mix the topping and crumble over the filling.  Bake at 350° for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until filling is set.  Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.  Serves 12.

The Finished Product


I forgot to take a pic of the cut bars.  Sorry!!

The Review

These are super easy and yummy.  I have to eat them with ice cream or whipped cream because they're pretty rich.  I made them for my kids to eat after school, and they didn't last long.  I had to hide a couple of pieces or my hubby wouldn't have had any.  This was a staple fall dessert when I was a kid, so making these brought back memories!  I have to give these an A just for nostalgia, but it helps that they are really tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails