Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 337: Tex Mex Rice

My Internet has finally quit throwing a fit and decided to get back to work.  Its one of the problems of living where I do...constant Internet problems.  I only have time for 1 post tonight, but I'll catch up tomorrow.  Thanks for your patience! 

I've been looking for the perfect Mexican rice recipe for a while now.  I think I've tried at least 4 different ones just this year.  But I think my search is over, at least temporarily

Tex Mex Rice
10" dutch oven

1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped fine
1 poblano or aneheim chile , seeded and chopped fine
2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and chopped fine
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
Salt

Process tomatoes in food processor until smooth; set aside. (I left a few chunk just because I like it that way)Place rice in fine-mesh strainer set over large bowl. Rinse under running water until water runs clear, about 1 minute. Drain rice well.

Heat oil in Dutch oven over a full spread of coals until shimmering. Add onion, poblano, and jalapeños and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir rice, cumin, and oregano into pot and cook, stirring frequently, until rice is deep golden, 5 to 6 minutes.

Add broth, processed tomatoes, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Cover and move about 1/4 of the coals from the bottom to the top.  Simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork and season with salt. Serves 6-8.

The Finished Product
 
 
 
The Review
 
For now, this is my favorite Mexican rice recipe.  It has great flavor and is perfect with any Mexican dish.  I may use the leftovers in burritos.  This isn't bland like so many of the recipes I've tried.  You could skip rinsing the rice, but it does make it fluffier.  This is my new favorite.  Grade A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails