Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 359: Basil Garlic Bread

I'm trying to get caught up so I can finish the year with 365 recipes.  I got behind when I took a week off to be with my mom.  This bread is actually one I cooked that week, but never posted.  Thank goodness I transferred all my pics to my computer before my camera broke.  It comes from a Taste of Home magazine.

Basil Garlic Bread
10" dutch oven

2/3 cup warm milk
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup warm sour cream
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 Tbs. butter, softened
1 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
3 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast

Dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm water and allow to sit for about 10 minutes.  In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except the flour and mix well.  Add the yeast mixture and mix well.  Mix in 1 1/2 cups flour.  Then add enough flour to form a soft dough.  Cover and allow to rise until doubled.  Punch dough down, shape into a ball and place in a greased dutch oven.  Cover and allow to rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes.  Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  Use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Serves 8-10.

The Finished Product


The Review

I was a little disappointed in this bread.  It had great texture and was really soft, but the flavor seemed off.  It was missing something and didn't taste quite right.  When I compare it to some of the other breads I've made this year, it falls a little flat.  I have to give this one a C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails